toggle menu
Live: 4TOFM
 
Listen live

Police Searching New Area Of Interest In William Tyrrell Case

Search teams

Police Searching New Area Of Interest In William Tyrrell Case

Search teams looking for evidence in the William Tyrrell case have moved to a new area of NSW bushland, about four kilometres from where the three-year-old boy was last seen nearly four years ago.

The new search area is a six-minute drive from William's foster grandmother's yard in the NSW mid-north coastal town of Kendall, where the boy vanished in September 2014.

Forensic will now focus on an area of bushland at the nearby Batar Creek, NSW Police said in a statement on Wednesday.

The revelation comes a day after William would have turned seven.

For the past two weeks, NSW police have been scouring bushland behind the Kendall home on Benaroon Drive, after it was announced in mid-June officers would spend one month looking for clues to find the missing Sydney boy.

Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin said the fresh search was to prove William disappeared because of human intervention - not misadventure.

Some 50 members of the NSW Police public order riot squad have been combing about three square kilometres of bushland.

Mr Jubelin had also hoped the fresh search would "rattle some cages" and put pressure on those he believed did know something about the case.

"I strongly believe that there are people out there who have information on this and I want to make a point to those people that if you do have information concerning what happened to William, you are committing an offence if you do not come forward," he told reporters on June 13.

Mr Jubelin believes people know what happened to the boy and reiterated the $1 million reward for information leading to William's recovery.

Search teams haven't recovered anything of significance in the past two weeks and will now focus on the new area.

Mr Jubelin has previously said that bringing a large police presence to the original crime scene can increase the pressure on those who may have information.

"I want that person to feel that everyone's looking at them and let's see where that takes us."

Mr Jubelin at the time said investigators were not ruling out that William was still alive - but admitted they held very grave concerns.

;